Guess the Learner Profiles, pt. 1

The IB Learner Profile is pretty important, if you teach in an IB program(me). Heck, it’s pretty important even if you don’t. Who doesn’t want their students to be inquirers, knowledgeable, thinkers, communicators, principled, open-minded, caring, risk takers, balanced or reflective?

I’ve been trying to push this idea for an advisory lesson but with no luck so far: ask students to search for CC licensed photos that represent the IB Learner Profile. This would get the students really thinking about what each of those terms mean and how they can best represent those ideals. It would also be an excellent way of introducing Creative Commons to students (and teachers).

I thought I’d give it a try myself. My initial attempts have been more on the literal side so they might be easy. Can you guess the Learner Profiles?

Guess the Learner Profile Guess the Learner Profile

12 thoughts on “Guess the Learner Profiles, pt. 1

• October 8, 2009 at 12:16 am

Great idea – we should be using Creative Commons more with our students. I am still having teachers come into the computer room who ask the students to find pictures for their projects. They go straight to Google Images and if they bother to cite a source at all it’s usually Google rather than the actual website the image is originally from. I know our librarian has worked hard on this with our students, but the subject teachers just don’t seem to be taking this onboard. When I show them CC they are often amazed and say they didn’t even know it existed. So we have a lot of PD to do here with our teachers I think!
    My guess on the photos is: Knowledgeable and Reflective. Am I right?

• October 8, 2009 at 10:42 am

Hi Maggie. Thanks for stopping by. Creative Commons is still a bit of a mystery here as well. There are some who are versed in it, but many teachers are still in the “Just Google it” mindframe. (BTW, did you know you can use Advanced Image Search to find CC-licensed photos?). Like anything else, it will take time. I think a lot of teachers have never really thought about copyright and what it means since we are able to bend the rules due to Fair Use and Education. But that is definitely doing a disservice to our students once they leave school (lifelong education?).

One of your guesses is correct, using my intention. But that’s another great thing about this activity: it leaves the Learner Profile open for discussion and interpretation and really makes people think about what it means!

Once I have posted all 10 images, I will let you know what I was thinking. More to come…

• October 9, 2009 at 1:44 am

OK, well if the second picture isn’t reflective then I’m going for Thinker. I still think the first one is Knowledgeable!
    As for the Advanced Search – well I have to say the very same people who didn’t know about CC also didn’t know that there was an advanced search in Google …… say no more!

• Pingback: Learning On The Job » Guess the Learner Profile, pt 2

• October 9, 2009 at 5:09 pm

Had some more thoughts about the first one. Could it be Inquirer rather than Knowledgeable … which would mean I could put Reflective back for the photo on the right. I can really see how you can get into a great discussion with students about these images. I love this idea!!!!

• October 9, 2009 at 10:40 pm

@Maggie Hos-McGrane I really hope I can find a way to work this into my school, most likely as an advisory activity. I was really excited about getting the students to think about how they can visualize these attributes but I think the discussion of what each image might represent is even more valuabe (and something I never imagined!).

• Pingback: Learning On The Job » Guess the Learner Profiles, pt 3

• Pingback: Learning On The Job » Guess the Learner Profiles, pt 4

• Pingback: Learning On The Job » Guess the Learner Profiles – Recap

• December 10, 2009 at 7:39 am

I really like this idea!

• December 10, 2009 at 7:49 am

@Yvonne I hope you get an opportunity to use this at your school or in your classroom. If you do, I’d love to see the results.

• December 21, 2015 at 10:04 am

Those could kill anybody! Jeez, Cookies, how about a RE4-style laser crdrioor? Would that work for you!?(On a side note, you could have contests to have readers put in a Cookie-Bio , as people he’s met in the past. It would be great fun and a cool incentive for us to read more. (But, I’d keep reading anyway, cause this is one of my favorite comics out there.))